Board of Directors
The Children’s Museum at Saratoga
Board of Directors
Job Description and Expectations
Purpose: To advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of The Children’s Museum at Saratoga so as to support the organization’s mission and needs.
Mission statement: The Children’s Museum at Saratoga is dedicated to creating an interactive community that inspires curiosity, sparks imagination and nurtures discovery. The Museum is also committed to fostering active parent involvement in children’s learning, to serving as a resource for school districts in the area, and to ensuring that its programs and services are accessible to all children.
- Organizational leadership and advisement
- Participate in board meetings and committees
- Formulation and oversight of policies and procedures
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation
- Personnel evaluation and staff development
- Review of organizational and programmatic reports
- Promotion of the organization
- Active participation in fundraising and outreach
*Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of The Children’s Museum at Saratoga. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
Length of term: Three years, which may be renewed up to a maximum of three consecutive terms. An individual who has met the 3 three-year term limit must wait at least one year before being reconsidered for another term on the Board.
Meetings and time commitment:
- The board of directors meets every month on the second Wednesday of the month, 6:00 p.m., at The Children’s Museum at Saratoga. Meetings typically last 60 minutes.
- Board members devise, implement, volunteer and fund raise for two annual fundraising events (Big Truck Day in August and dinner event in March).
Expectations of board members:
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events.
- Participate on a committee of the board, and serve on ad-hoc committees as necessary.
- Help communicate and promote The Children’s Museum at Saratoga’s mission and programs to the community.
- Become familiar with The Children’s Museum at Saratoga’s finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of The Children’s Museum at Saratoga.
- Act in the best interests of the organization, and excuse oneself from discussions and votes where there is a conflict of interest.
- Financially support The Children’s Museum at Saratoga’s in a manner commensurate with one’s ability.
- Be an annual member of the The Children’s Museum at Saratoga.